Social Worker Full-time JobMay 9th, 2023 at 13:34 General Nairobi Reference: 1690
On 8 December 2020, we inaugurated the Still I Rise International School in Nairobi, thanks to the support of many friends and donors. Our school is located in Mathare, Nairobi, an area strategically chosen to welcome the city’s forgotten children. Mathare is one of the most disadvantaged slums in the world and it stands in between the districts of Pangani, Eastleigh and Huruma, some of the areas with a very high density of refugees. We offer our 150 students a high-quality international curriculum. We create opportunities and promote development not only for our students but for the entire community. We hold cultural events which expose student efforts as well as supporting parents to find work. The main focus of the project is the involvement of the local community. The staff is made up of the best local professionals and teachers with the support of a selection of international teachers. In June 2021, the school joined the prestigious International Baccalaureate (IB) circuit, as an IB Candidate School: a high standard reserved for some of the best schools on the planet!
Still I Rise, an international NGO that works on the development and implementation of humanitarian projects aimed at the education and support of refugee children and teenagers, is looking for a School Counsellor to join its current staff in Nairobi, Kenya.
At Still I Rise we believe that every child deserves high quality education, and that it is never too late for any student to thrive and build a successful future.
With a safe and welcoming environment in our schools, constant support, tailored learning and behavioral plans, our staff make sure children are supported in their learning.
The selected person will join the team and will be responsible for helping implement our safeguarding systems, protection policies and PSS strategies. They will also be a key figure at the heart of our student selection process, responsible for liaising with community figures, families and institutional representatives across Nairobi in order to identify and verify potential future students.
Candidates should be proactive and caring professionals, skilled in effective communication with children and adults from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Salary Range : KSh 30,000 – KSh 50,000/month
- Evolve our mapping of in-need children who would be suitable candidates for the free high quality schooling of Still I Rise International School of Nairobi
- Reach out across Nairobi in-person and via calls to develop a network of community figures, families and institutional stakeholders who can refer children to our selection process
- Diligently track all significant progress and the details of potential candidates
- Conduct family Interviews for onboarding students and update their records in the provided system.
- Conduct home visit to assess the students needs and develop strategies to support families
- Work to maximize coping skills for students in difficult situations
- Offer mentorship programs for students under the guidance of the Child Protection Officer
- Support the Child Protection officer in identifying problems in the school setting, such as bullying or aggressive behavior
- Promote the general well-being of students
- Work with outside agencies to provide support to families in support of the Advocacy Officer
- In cooperation with the Child Protection Officer, train and supervise all staff on Still I Rise’s Child Protection and Safeguarding policies
- Follow up, together with CSP Officer and School Director, any referral of child protection concerns as well as child safeguarding issues
- Support the CSP Officer in networking and liaising with Child Protection external actors (i.e. organizations, groups, individuals).
- Support the School Director in the creation of referral pathways for students and families in cooperation with the Community liaison Officer
- Conduct outreach work with the families of enrolled students, providing detailed records.
- Promote the engagement of parents/carers in the School and contribute to the effective and efficient delivery of information, advice and support to parents/carers of students
- Support community-based activities such as structured life skills sessions, workshops and community-led events, under the guidance of Child protection Officer
- Other duties at the school as agreed upon with School Leadership
Essential Skills :
- Degree in a specialist technical or professional field relevant to role e.g Social work, child protection
- Registered Member of Kenya National Association of Social workers (KNASW)
- Experience with case management and referrals
- Experience working with vulnerable and traumatized children and teenagers
- Experience working with displaced / asylum seeking children
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment and handle multiple priorities
- Commitment and willingness to work in a challenging environment
- High level of accountability over work
- Provision of creative solutions
- Excellent communication skills, both writing and speaking.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good IT skills including use of MS Office, Google Drive and Slack.
- Fluency in English
- Minimum 23 years old
- Completion of CRB/Background check (if applicable)
Desirable Experience and Skills
- Experience in the education sector or working within a school setting
- Knowledge of the relevant protection actors in the region
- Experience working in a non-profit environment
Method of Application
Submit your CV, copies of relevant documents and Application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Use the title of the position as the subject of the email
Closing Date : 19 May. 2023