Senior Telecommunications Technical Assistant, G7 Full-time JobMay 9th, 2023 at 16:02 General Nairobi Reference: 1856
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world’s environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
This post is located in the Technical Services Unit in the Information Technology Unit (ITU) of the Division of Conference Services (DCS), UNON at the Nairobi duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Chief, ITU/DCS/UNON the incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:
Conference equipment handling and day-to-day operations:
- Install and test conference equipment;
- Set up and test conference room as per agreed standards;
- Perform audio and video recording/webstreaming and process recordings as per clients’ requirements;
- Guide and mentor short term technical staff;
- Assist interpreters with operational set-ups and monitor operations throughout the meeting;
- Engage in teamwork with other UNON technical parties with respect to video and tele-conferencing services, network and server support.
Maintenance of conference equipment:
- Conduct quarterly inspections to test, repair and clean conference equipment;
- Tackle technical issues relating to conference equipment and share information, technological improvement ideas and suggestions with the team members; escalate outstanding unresolved issues;
- Ensure adequate spare parts are kept in stock;
- Liaise with internal staff members and external contractors on timely repair or replacement of faulty equipment.
- Perform the role of supervisor and coordinate the daily operations of the team;
- Participate in weekly coordination meetings;
- Conduct resource planning on a weekly basis;
- Supervise short-term staff;
- Engage in daily contact with internal stakeholders;
- Research tools, resources and best practices that will enable the team to perform;
- Coordinate with the Division of Security & Safety Services (DSS) to ensure safety and security of equipment and delegates in the conference area;
- Coordinate with Facilities Management and Transport Service to ensure proper upkeep of conference facilities;
- Research and give feedback on training needs.
Inventory and Procurement:
- Coordinate with Procurement Section to ensure timely acquisition of equipment and services required;
- Maintain up-to-date records of assets;
- Conduct quarterly physical inventory checks to ensure up-to-date records;
- Prepare quarterly report; investigate and report any discrepancies;
- Perform regular audits;
- Conduct quarterly IT equipment testing;
- Ensure timely equipment repairs;
- Monitor inventory stock levels;
- Ensure security of DCS assets and maintain keys;
- Report damaged and lost property to Property Management Unit and DSS.
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making;
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Ability to apply knowledge and technical skills to install and test relevant equipment, provide maintenance services and user support; ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making; shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- TECHNOLOGICAL AWARENESS: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Completion of High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Supplementary courses/diplomas in areas of inventory, computer office suites and audio/video (AV) broadcasting are required.
- Specialized Audio/Video and Information Technology (IT) certifications such as Certified Technology Specialist (CTS), Dante Level 1-3, ITIL Foundation or ITIL Service Operation is desirable.
- Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Successful passing of the Administrative Support Assessment Test (ASAT) in English at the United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ), Economic Commission for Africa (ECA), Economic and Social Commission for Eastern Asia (ESCWA), United Nations Office at Geneva.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience involving computerized general office work and use of Microsoft Office Suite is required. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced by two (2) years for candidates who possess a first level University degree.
- Experience in audio/video broadcasting in a medium-sized organization is required.
- At least two (2) years of experience in activities related to conference servicing in hybrid mode using Remote Simultaneous Interpretation (RSI) platforms in the United Nations system, other intergovernmental organizations, or in the private sector at the international level, is required.
- Telecommunications related experience in operating, maintenance and servicing of conference and AV equipment is required.
- 1 year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 6 May. 2023