Project Officer Full-time JobMay 9th, 2023 at 14:05 General Lilongwe Reference: 1724
Beyond Our Hearts Foundation organization was established in 2014, its main thrust is securing rights of the poor and marginalized, good governance, sustainable livelihood development through promoting people’s participation at all levels of the state and society, accountability, capacity development and access to resources. According to the organization’s policy, special emphasis is given on women and children participation in building poor people’s capacity towards disaster risk reduction and climate resilience.
The organization is working to improve the quality of life of people, especially children who are marginalized and living in poverty. BOHF helps all people who are in need, regardless of their religion, race, ethnicity or gender. As a child-focused organization, BOHF work focuses on children, ensuring they are protected and their basic needs are met. We believes every child deserves a future in Malawi and around the world, we work every day to give children a healthy start in life, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm.
When crisis strikes, and children are most vulnerable, we are always among the first to respond and the last to leave. We ensure children’s unique needs are met and their voices are heard. We deliver lasting results for millions of children, including those hardest to reach. We do whatever it takes for children – every day and in times of crisis – transforming their lives and the future we share.
“A society where children live happily in a safe, caring and stimulating environment that promotes the best of their potential towards a poverty free society.
BOH Foundation aims to uphold human dignity, equity and accountability through empowering and protecting vulnerable children and their communities so that these children can lead a bright future.”
With funding from Save the Children – Italy; Beyond Our Hearts Foundation is recruiting well qualified staff in its Localization project that will be implemented in Neno District; Traditional Authority Mlauli, Dambe, Symon and Chekucheku:
POSITION: Project Officer (Neno District)
The Project Officer will support BOHF members to develop/implement emergency preparedness and response plans, and manages the implementation of the humanitarian mechanism based on the BOHF Humanitarian Policy, and integration of resilience programming in humanitarian appeals.
She/he works closely with the Project Coordinator.
BOHF key strategies is to support an effective humanitarian response by BOHF members. The humanitarian programme supports the alliance to demonstrate enhanced efficiency, coordination and timeliness in the humanitarian work, as well as to integrate approaches around response, preparedness, disaster risk reduction (DRR), climate change intervention, and sustainable development.
The Project Officer will be responsible for ensuring effective implementation of the project’s activities and task assigned to attain goals and objectives of the project. The Project Officer will be responsible for overseeing project work-plan performance, participating in project planning, budgeting, and implementation, monitoring, reporting and programme development in project site.
KEY ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the implementation of all livelihoods and humanitarian activities in the designated areas or projects while ensuring principles of transparency, ethical conduct and efficiency in project implementation are demonstrated and promoted.
- Ensure integration of DRM activities in livelihoods and resilience building interventions thereby ensuring that economic and nutrition pathways are protected from shocks and stresses
- Facilitate training of development and humanitarian structures such as A/VDC and CPCs on resource mobilization so that they are able to mobilize their own resources for their programs
- Ensure an improved preparedness, mitigation and response capacity for communities to shocks and stress is achieved through risk mitigation and prevention activities for the economic and nutrition pathways including Natural Resource Management are timely implemented
- Form / revamp civil protection committees while making ensure that DRM and NRM structures are in place in all the areas.
- Facilitate train of DCPC, ACPCs and VCPCs in DRM to make sure that they integrate DRM issues into developmental activities of their areas.
- Facilitate participatory hazard vulnerability and capacity assessments (PVCA) and Village Action Plans to help the concerned structures perform an appropriate planning process
- Provide the appropriate support to the structures on the development of their DRM plans.
- Ensure DRM structures have the relevant early warning toolkits for their proper functioning
- Work with communities to develop contingency plans based on scenario from weather forecast to save lives and the economic pathways.
- Ensure good collaboration between DRM structures at the district level with Meteorological Department by facilitating the link between the two for continued performance of the former beyond the life span of the project.
- Facilitate the conduction of participatory scenario planning (PSP) through revision contingency plans while incorporating them based on the scenarios.
- Strengthen the capacity further of the local development and humanitarian structures such ADCs, VDCs, A/VCPCs and VNRMCs
- Maintaining and monitoring project plans, project schedules, work hours, budgets, and expenditures.
- Organizing, attending, and participating in stakeholder meetings.
- Documenting and following up on important actions and decisions from meetings.
- Preparing necessary presentation materials for meetings.
- Ensuring project deadlines are met.
- Determining project changes.
- Providing administrative support as needed.
- Undertaking project tasks as required.
- Developing project strategies.
- Ensuring projects adhere to frameworks and all documentation is maintained appropriately for each project
- Assess project risks and issues and provide solutions where applicable.
- Ensure stakeholder views are managed towards the best solution.
- Chair and facilitate meetings where appropriate and distribute minutes to all project team members.
Support district DRM coordination meetings wherever necessary.
- Ensure credible expenditure reporting and participate in the budgeting and budget management processes.
- Prepare and timely submit high quality activity, monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Support the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) functions related to the project and organization at large.
- Participate in the proposal development and design processes as need may arise
- Proactively ensure that there is adequate documentation of key lessons learnt, and evidence generated in the course of implementation of project activities.
- Support and participate in the project and organization’s advocacy related activities including development of advocacy media products such as the Project Coordinator in the production of video clips, audios, leaflets, press release/ media briefs, etc
- Participate in internal and external meetings to represent the organization on livelihoods and humanitarian issues and share information about the projects’ interventions with stakeholders
- Performs other relevant duties as requested by supervisor.
- With guidance from Project Coordinator, initiate planning for project (Operational Planning, Budgeting)
- Participating in developing project proposals and project documentation
- Assist Project Coordinator (PC) to develop work-plan with partners if necessary.
- Coordinate with the team and partner to conduct capacity building trainings for partners
- Supporting the Senior Project Officer in all aspects of the programme implementation and development as requested.
- Responsible for supporting the programme’s advocacy plan.
- Establish monitoring and evaluation systems including indicators.
- Actively assist and participate in project events (meetings/workshops/trainings).
- Undertake other program administration tasks as and when necessary.
- Ensure transparency, ethical conduct and efficiAency in project implementation
- Reporting on project activities and expenditure as requested by the Project Coordinator and according to project timeframes
- Preparing of monthly, quarterly and annual reports.
- Report to Project Coordinator any of changes which impact to the project implementation.
Project Monitoring and Evaluation –
– Be responsible for monitoring and supervision of activities implemented in the project’s sites to ensure effective implementation together with MEAL officer.
– Supervising and recording project activities expenditure against budget
– Responsible for managing project database and other M&E tools
– Implement the project M & E plan in a professional manner
– Visit project sites on a regular basis (monthly or bi-monthly)
– Participate in Project review
– Provide technical support to project team and partners when necessary
– Identifying training needs of partners and beneficiaries in the context of the project
– Contribute in developing operating tools for project interventions
– Assist in reviewing and redesigning intervention in consultation with the Project Coordinator and partners and in response to evolving needs of target groups.
– Compile /document lessons learnt and intervention model
– Participating in designing research/study, collecting analyzing data, translating document research findings together with other project team members, partners and consultants.
– Preparing and facilitating together with project team and council partner to plan, design and conduct workshops and trainings.
– Prepare and participate in periodical meetings
– Provide the Project Coordinator with contacts for database (donors, consultants, networks)
– Coordinate with project teams in documentation of projects’ achievements
– Assist in project special events together with the Project Coordinator and the Administrator
– Support the Project Coordinator in the production of communications tools: Video clips, leaflet, press release/ press kit, database
– Support in organization of visits (of donors, home office personnel, other visitors)
-Establish relationship and attends technical meetings with other NGOs and networks when appropriate
– Identify opportunities to collaborate with other organizations and leverage resources.
– Monitoring Project expenditure based on a clear project plan and applied all required Financial regulations.
– Supporting Project partners to develop the project budget in a participatory manner
– Support Finances in payments procedure (verification, follow up)
– Participate in the controlling of the appropriateness and compliance of the program operations, narrative work plan, and budgets.
– Assisting the Project Coordinator to develop quarterly/annually financial plan.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND ATTRIBUTES
- At least 4 years’ experience in development and humanitarian projects preferably working with or for vulnerable children.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s Degree in Humanitarian Affairs, Agriculture Community Development, Social Work or any related discipline
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning knowledge and skills desirable;
- Excellent organizational, analytical and problem-solving skills, and attention to detail
- Demonstrated capacity to effectively communicate via writing, public speaking and interpersonal interactions;
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interact with community organizations, government officials, corporate executives, general public and staff;
- A spirit of achieving excellence and team building;
- Demonstration of honesty, transparency, accountability;
- Intermediate English skills, especially in report and proposal writing;
- Advanced skills in MS Excel, and proficiency in Word and Power point.
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV and cover letter with three referees through email to: email@example.com or by hand at Beyond Our Hearts Offices (PO Box 111 Neno) Next to Chikonde TDC by Friday 19th May 2023 .
Please indicate the position you are applying for. For more information regarding the vacancies you may contact Mr Russell Msiska
The Executive Director on firstname.lastname@example.org
BOHF is an equal employer and all people are encouraged to apply and Our selection process includes rigorous background checks to ensure our commitment to safeguarding children and vulnerable adults.
Only short-listed applicants will be acknowledged, the successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation and police clearance certificate is a must.