PROJECT COORDINATOR Full-time JobMay 12th, 2023 at 12:50 General Lilongwe Reference: 2677
SCOTLAND MALAWI PSYCHIATRY CAPACITY DEVELOPMENT PROJECT (SMPCDP)
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT PROJECT COORDINATOR
The Scotland Malawi Psychiatry Capacity Development Project (SMPCDP) is a collaboration between Kamuzu University of Health Sciences Department of Mental Health, Ministry of Health, and the Scotland Malawi Mental Health Education Project (SMMHEP). It is a 1-year project focused on improving psychiatric risk assessment and management in Zomba Mental Hospital (ZMH) and Queen Elizabeth Central Hospital (QECH). Assessment and management of the risks to self and others posed by people with mental health conditions is a key component of safe and high quality mental health care. The project activities will include visits to Malawi by experts in psychiatric risk assessment from UK and a 1-week Training of Trainers workshop for the project leads (including the project coordinator) in UK. A training manual, teaching resources and ward protocols will be developed. Following this, the trainers will conduct a programme of risk assessment training and supervision for staff at ZMH and QECH with the aim of embedding risk assessment and management into day-to- day practice at both hospitals. UK experts will provide ongoing support to the team throughout the duration of the project.
The Project Coordinator will be responsible for organising workshops, working with project leads to develop training materials, assisting in supervision and the delivery of trainings, maintaining project documentation and producing reports.
The post holder will be based at Zomba Mental Hospital and will be reporting to the local project lead based at the same institution and to an SMMHEP trustee based in the UK.
Duties and responsibilities
- Prepare, plan and implement project plans according to instructions provided by project leads: – Specifically:
- To coordinate the development of a psychiatric risk assessment training package for use in Malawi
- To organize risk assessment workshops at ZMH and QECH
- To assist in the delivery of risk assessment training at ZMH and QECH.
- Work closely with the project lead and administrator in Malawi
- Ensure that (financial) resources are appropriately allocated according to project plans, budget and resource availability
- Track and analyze projects’ performance, expenditures, and procurement and report on any problems
- Maintain project documentation and produce reports
- Performs other related duties as required by the project leads.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher Clinical qualification in Mental Health
- Clinical experience in mental health as a Clinician or Nurse
- Management experience, preferably in a hospital setting and in mental health
- Teaching experience in mental health
- Registered with Malawi Medical Council or Nursing Council.
- Driving licence
- Ability to understand and work with clinical and management teams
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written (Chichewa and English)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with task scheduling and resource assignment
- Solid organizational skills including attention to detail and multitasking skills
- Good computer skills including MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and willingness to develop skills in e-learning platform content management.
Suitably qualified candidates should forward their application letters together with copies of certificates and detailed a CV with contact numbers and emails of 3 referees to:
Kamuzu University of Health Sciences
or via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should ideally be submitted by email as a single PDF, Applicants must indicate “SMPCDP Project” on the envelope for hard copy applications and on the subject line for email applications.
Applications should be submitted not later than 25th May, 2023. Only short- listed applicants will be contacted