Programme Officer: Research and Capacity Building Full-time JobMay 9th, 2023 at 16:37 General Nairobi Reference: 1893
The Katiba Institute (KI), Located in Nairobi, was established in 2011 to promote knowledge and studies of constitutionalism and to facilitate the implementation of Kenya’s new constitution.The principal objective of KI is to achieve social transformation through the constitution. In the immediate, KI works to help promote the implementation of the constitution. In the medium term, KI hopes that its work will help establish a culture of constitutionalism. In this regard, KI works on diverse areas of the constitution including issues of leadership and integrity, human rights, devolution, gender and electoral issues to appropriation of land and evictions of indigenous people and other long term settlers and protection against illegality and harassment by the police, facilitating public participation.Its activities include publications on the Constitution, workshops on constitutional issues, public interest litigation, development of the legal and judicial system, establishment of county governments, land reform, review of legislative bills to implement the Constitution, and promoting the participation of Kenyans in public affairs.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Contribute towards shaping a coherent vision for the research and publications programme;
- Support the development of KI’s research and publication profile;
- Undertake desktop and field-based research on topical issues as determined by KI;
- Support and promote the dissemination of research products, including through dissemination of publications and presentations at local and international seminars, workshops and conferences;
- Provide training for communities, CSOs and government institutions
- Work with KI staff and consultants to ensure compliance with KI’s policies on research quality and regulatory compliance;
- Assist in developing and strengthening partnerships with research institutions, government entities, civil society institutions, and international agencies;
- Assist in resources mobilization to develop KI’s research and publication capabilities;
- Assist in the development and implementation of a sustainable and effective communication and dissemination strategy for KI’s knowledge products;
- Assist in the development and implementation of the work plan of the Research and Publications Programme;
- Monitor assigned programmatic budgets to ensure the prudent use of KI resources and
- Undertake all such other functions as may be directed by the management and that are within the mandate of the organization and complimentary to the above responsibilities.
- A degree in law, social sciences or political studies or other relevant degree;
- Possession of a Master’s degree in a relevant area will be an advantage;
- At least four (4) years of work experience in project management research, writing, and communicating on a range of different constitutional, human rights, and the rule of law issues;
- Excellent communication and writing skills in English and Kiswahili.
- Experience in resource mobilization will be an added advantage;
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Office platforms (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Strong and demonstrable research skills, using paper and electronic resources;
- Significant experience in working with communities and civil society organizations in Kenya;
- Conviction in and commitment to constitutionalism and principles of human rights;
- Ability to quickly grasp new and complex concepts;
- Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team;
- Ability to balance priorities and co-ordinate work effectively to meet deadlines and deal with heavy workloads; and
- Sound judgment and temperament to enable interaction with persons from all sectors of society.
Method of Application
Submit your CV, copies of relevant documents and Application to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use the title of the position as the subject of the email
Closing Date : 19 May. 2023
Katiba Institute (KI)