Diversity, Equity and Inclusion are core principles at UNDP: we value diversity as an expression of the multiplicity of nations and cultures where we operate, we foster inclusion as a way of ensuring all personnel are empowered to contribute to our mission, and we ensure equity and fairness in all our actions. Taking a ‘leave no one behind’ approach to our diversity efforts means increasing representation of underserved populations. People who identify as belonging to marginalized or excluded populations are strongly encouraged to apply. Learn more about working at UNDP including our values and inspiring stories.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The United Nations Department of Safety and Security (UNDSS) provides security services to all United Nations agencies, ensuring the safety and security of personnel and the security of United Nations premises and assets.
UNDSS is currently seeking to recruit the services of a well qualified driver.
Under the guidance and supervision of the security Advisor, the Driver will provide reliable and safe driving services whilst ensuring high accuracy of work. The Driver will demonstrate a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
The Driver provides driving services to the UNDSS staff included those on Local Cost Shared Security Budget on mission.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures provision of reliable and secure driving services by a) driving office vehicles for the transport of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items and b) meeting official personnel and visitors at the airport, visa and customs formalities arrangement when required.
- Ensures cost-savings through proper use of vehicle through accurate maintenance of daily vehicle logs, provision of inputs to preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports.
- Ensures proper day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle through timely minor repairs, arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, car washing, etc.
- Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, necessary spare parts.
- Ensures that all immediate actions required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accidents.
Demonstrates commitment to UNDSS’s mission, vision and values.
Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
Shares knowledge and experience
Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
Development and Operational Effectiveness
Demonstrates excellent knowledge of driving rules and regulations and skills in minor vehicle repair
Demonstrates excellent knowledge of protocol
Demonstrates excellent knowledge of security issues
Leadership and Self-Management
Focuses on result for the client
Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of views
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of Secondary Education
- Possession of a Valid SADC Driver’s license.
- 3 years’ work experience as a driver with safe driving record is an asset
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations desirable
- Skills in minor vehicle repair will be an added advantage
- Experience working with Police, Military and or private Security companies is essential
- Flexibility to work in shifts (day and night)
- Fluency in English and Chichewa
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP has a zero-tolerance policy towards sexual exploitation and misconduct, sexual harassment, and abuse of authority. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks, and will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles.
UNDP is an equal opportunity and inclusive employer that does not discriminate based on race, sex, gender identity, religion, nationality, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy, age, language, social origin or other status.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.