Migration and Inclusion Advisor Full-time JobMay 10th, 2023 at 09:46 General Nairobi Reference: 2145
Kenya Red Cross is one of the many International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement societies around the world. The Kenya organisation was established in 1965, The Kenya Red Cross supports and runs a number of projects whilst raising awareness to the Kenyan public about the current issues or problems which may affect them.
Background and Purpose
- Danish Red Cross (DRC) has worked closely with KRCS since 2002. Since 2017, DRC’s key focus has been to build a framework for urban resilience in informal settlements in and around urban cities of Nairobi and Mombasa. DRC is also supporting KRCS’s pursuit to mainstream innovation and MHPSS in its programming. In 2021, DRC developed a Country Strategy for Kenya that guides partnership and portfolio development for DRC in Kenya. The DRC country vision for Kenya is that communities are resilient and empowered to engage and contribute to sustainable and inclusive social and economic development. DRC’s yearly budget in Kenya is approximately 10 million DKK, mainly coming from the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Novo Nordisk, and Twinning funds from Danish local branches. The current team in Kenya counts a Country Manager, a Programme Officer, a finance officer, a driver officer, and short-term delegates/interns.
- One of the breakthroughs for DRC in Kenya is to contribute to ensure that urban and displaced populations, including youth, refugees and host communities lead safe and dignified lives in socially inclusive communities. In line with this ambition, a new multiyear initiative in support of vulnerable groups among refugees, internally displaced people and affected local communities in Kenya has been developed and funded. In the same breath DRC is currently involved in an engagement with the Danish MOFA to position Red Cross in Kenya as a key humanitarian actor for a potential consideration in an upcoming ‘Inclusive Refugees Response Programme’ in Kenya that the Danish Government intends to support through a pilot initiative dubbed inclusive and durable refugee responses in Kenya starting 2023.
- The Migration and Inclusion advisor will provide overall support in the development and implementation of migration and inclusion initiatives targeting refugees and displaced populations in Kenya. This includes liaison with the Danish MoFA on new refugee initiatives as well as regional and cross border migration initiatives in the East and Horn of Africa. The advisor will be part of the DRC Kenya Country Office team and will report to the DRC Country Manager and work closely with the DRC Migration matrix.
Technical support to migration and inclusion activities in Kenya
- Advise on and provide technical support to the development and implementation of DRC supported migration and inclusion initiatives in Kenya
- Contribute to fundraising and resource mobilization for initiatives targeting displaced populations, including refugees and host communities in line with the DRC country strategy and KRCS strategic plan
- Focal person at the DRC country office for migration related projects providing the support to KRCS, in including DRC related grant management and oversight.
- Liaise and collaborate closely with KRCS programme focal person in planning for and execution of the key planned project initiatives including but not limited to programme kick off meeting, programme baseline assessment, midterm evaluation as well as the end line evaluation.
- For optimal programme objectives delivery, liaise closely and support KRCS programme focal person (with the support of the KRCS partnerships focal person) in building and fostering good working relations with the programme actions co implementers i.e. Centre for Rights Education and Awareness (CREAW), Grassroot Economics (GE) and the Regional Durable Solutions Secretariat (ReDSS) as well as in rolling out relevant coordination mechanisms.
- Conduct joint monitoring visits with KRCS and implementing partners to the project implementation sites to assess the quality of implementation and gather feedback from beneficiaries and stakeholders for continuous programme delivery improvements.
- Liaise and closely work with the DRC Country Finance Officer to monitor the programme resource allocation from DRC against the resource utilization at the implementers (KRCS) level and advise the Country Manager for relevant and timely action.
- For back donor reporting, coordinate and consolidate the information and reports from KRCS and other implementing partners and prepare annual project progress reports as per DRC reporting requirements.
- To harvest cross-learning from migration projects, in close liaison with KRCS and the other implementing partners, organize a joint learning event with the Danish MFA and other grant recipients after 24 months of project implementation.
- Monitor closely and provide relevant technical support to the KRCS programme focal person to ensure full compliance with the donor (DANIDA) requirements as they relate to the programme and budget management and implementation.
- In close collaboration with KRCS facilitate potential monitoring visits and/or field audits by the back donor
Migration programme development and liaison role with Donors.
- Focal point within the DRC Kenya office for the development of migration initiatives in the East and Horn of Africa
- Lead and serve as the focal point following up on the developments of the uupcoming ‘ Inclusive Refugees Response Programmer’ in Kenya by Danish Government and closely work with the KRCS on the preparatory works as may be necessary (assessments, concept development etc.) in close liaison with DRC HQ colleagues and the Country Manager.
- Provide the necessary liaison and support the DRC Country Manager in maintaining regular and meaningful donor relations, including those programme specific engagements with the Danish Embassy at country level.
- Maintain a regular dialogue on the migration programme development status with the support of the Country Manager to the relevant DRC matrices, Head of Region, and other relevant stakeholders.
- Represent the DRC in Kenya in relevant in country DANIDA strategic partners forums during the implementation of migration programmes as well as the migration programme development
- Contribute to DRC communications and fundraising objectives by compiling and availing relevant information and communication materials/ products developed from the programmes and other related initiatives in Kenya as requested DRC country Manger and/or HQ
- Promote the mainstreaming of cross-cutting themes and approaches; Protection Gender and Inclusion (PGI), Community Engagement and Accountability (CEA), principles of Dignity, Access, Participation and Safety (DAPS), RCRC principles and commitment to the foundation for the project’s rights-based approach.
- In coordination with the DRC country Manager and other delegates, contribute to ongoing analysis of the humanitarian context in Kenya with particular focus on migrants, refugees and displaced populations– and develop new programme ideas and concepts together with KRCS addressing needs identified including development of relevant RC position papers to donors.
- Be part of the DRC global migration matrix
- Support the Country Manager and Disaster Response unit as requested in case of emergencies
Power of decision-making in relation to the tasks
- Daily budget responsibility of dedicated project budgets, including HQ and Regional Office expenditures in line with budget guidelines
- Decision-maker in relation to project implementation in close coordination with KRCS, in line with standard operational procedures and DRC international and regional strategy and under supervision of the DRC Country Manager.
Communication in relation to the tasks
- Regular communication with implementing partner, KRCS, in line with DRC partnership approach
- Regular communication with DRC Country Manager and other DRC in-country delegates and matrices/technical experts.
- Regular communication with stakeholders in country (DANIDA/Royal Embassy of Denmark of Kenya, Partner National Societies
- In coordination with KRCS, contribute to maintain communication with UN Agencies, clusters, government agencies, humanitarian actors in Kenya
- Communicate need for support to the International Department in close cooperation with the Country Manager
Proven skills and experience within:
- University degree in Migration, Displacement or Protection Studies or related field
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant experience in programme management
- Previous experience in project management and working within fragile/urban settings with displaced populations including youths, refugees and migrants is a strong advantage
- Proven experience on financial management, internal programme and donor reporting, proposal writing (development) and development and maintenance of partner and donor relation management
- Self-management within a distance management setup
- Experience of working for the Red Cross/Red Crescent or International Humanitarian agency
- Excellent English language skills
- Cultural sensitivity
- Result oriented
- Good communicator
- In line with the DRC vision, strategic priorities, international and country strategy for Kenya:
- Contribute to achieve agreed results as formulated in the performance and implementation plans
- DRC supported projects under the responsibility of the Advisor implemented as planned
- Funding opportunities in country explored as agreed with CM
- New projects and initiatives developed as agreed with Country Manager
- Contribute to KRCS-DRC partnership relations in line with the DRC partnership approach
Method of Application
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 18 May. 2023