MEDICAL OFFICER Full-time JobMay 12th, 2023 at 12:46 General Lilongwe Reference: 2669
The Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation – Malawi (BCMF-M) is a not-for-profit organization working in partnership with the Malawi government in the health sector. Our mission is to improve the health and lives of children and families with HIV, cancer and blood disorders through high quality, high impact, ethical, state of the art comprehensive care and treatment, training of health professionals and clinical research. We have a vibrant and thriving maternal health program main site at Area 25 Health Centre that ensures prevention/reduction of stillbirths, neonatal deaths and maternal morbidity and mortality. We are situated within the Kamuzu Central Hospital premises, opposite Kamuzu College of Nursing.
BCMCF-M invites applications from suitably qualified individuals to fill the following position of:
POSITION: Medical officer
CONTRACT DURATION: 1 year (renewable)
DUTY STATION: Area 25 Health Centre
STATUS: Full time (40 hours per week)
REPORTS TO: Medical Director Baylor Area 25 project
Duties and Responsibilities
Clinical duties/ Academic
- The medical Officer will participate in the day to day operations of the facility
- Perform clinical rounds in all allocated wards (maternity, theatre, prenatal, Post-surgical and Gynecological wards).
- Do calls as directed by the clinical supervisor/ In charge of the Centre
- Prepare and present Lectures as directed by the team leader
- Engage in Research activities as guided by the project director
- Involve in Programmatic work, and also in outreach, training and mentorship activities.
- Participate in making of call Roster
- Perform at the Team leader level when on and not on call
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following
- Provide one to one mentorship and clinical support to our MoH and other partners when on duty
- Strengthening systems of the partnership and improving linkages between the different points of care of the hospital or health centre
- Assisting MoH staff and other partners in working out solutions to Health centre specific challenges
- Filling out all admission and clinical forms of the sites accurately and on time
- Maintain MOH-Baylor Public Private Partnership relationship
- Attending any possible outreach meetings as directed by the medical directort and whenever such meetings are called for. At these meetings provide comprehensive report on clinical work and progress at the Centre.
- Developing ideas on how best to improve Obstetric and Gynecological care at the centre
- Providing clinical leadership, training, and guidance to nurses and other clinicians and Nurses at Area 25
- Providing lectures for continuous professional development to designated Obstetric team as well as nurses at least once every quarter.
- Providing clinical care in the Area 25 Health Centre when not on call
- Taking part in training the nurses and other staff members in initial and other CHW training at the COE.
- Assisting in the development of training and mentorship / leadership tools
Competencies and experience required
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery (MBBS) and registered with the Medical Council of Malawi
- 6 months minimum post internship experience as a Medical Doctor will be an added advantage
- Reliable and able to handle complicated issues with minimum supervision
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work in a team oriented environment a must
Suitably qualified and experienced candidates should address their applications, including a detailed Curriculum Vitae and names of three traceable referees who are not relatives to:
The Executive Director
Baylor College of Medicine Children’s Foundation-Malawi
Closing date for receiving applications is on 26th May, 2023. Only shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged.