Junior HSE Officer Full-time JobMay 9th, 2023 at 14:12 General Nairobi Reference: 1731
Lake Turkana Wind Power (LTWP) is a leading owner/ operator of one of the largest and most prestigious power generating projects in Africa.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Identify, mitigate and manage project-related health, safety and environmental impacts and risks in compliance with Kenyan legislation (e.g. OSHA Act, 2007), the IFC Performance Standards on Environmental and Social Sustainability, the World Bank EHS Guidelines and the ILO Labour Conventions, and LTWP’s Environmental, Social and Health and Safety (ESHS) plans, policies and procedures;
- Conduct risk assessments and produce Site Safety Plan before any work commencing and prepare the Risk Management Plan;
- Conduct Job Safety & Environmental Analyses (SEA) / Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) and monitor implementation of ESHS plans, policies and procedures by LTWP employees and contractors; 4. Systematically plan, organize, carry out HSE activities (e.g., inspections, audits, trainings, toolbox talks, risk assessments etc.) and systematically document these;
- Ensure that workplans are systematically developed and delivered upon;
- Identify HSE related gaps within the organisation and suggest/organise relevant training (e.g., in relation to First Aid and Fire Safety). This is necessary in order to continuously improve LTWP staff’s understanding of HSE risks on site and how to mitigate against these so that LTWP maintains a safe working environment;
- Timely production and maintenance of key ESHS documentation, including, but not limited to, HSE Team- related Environmental and Social Management Plans (e.g. the Occupational Health and Safety Plan, Water Management Plan, Waste Management Plan, Biodiversity and Conservation Management Plan, Hazardous Chemicals and Substances Plan, Emergency Preparedness and Response Plan), Permits and Licenses
Tracker, HSE Activities Register, HSE Incidents Register, Quarterly HSE Team Report, photographs and video footage, LTWP’s E&S Policies; etc.
The above duties and responsibilities may vary from time to time and include any other responsibilities that arise during the company’s day-to-day business.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, Occupational Safety and Health, Environmental Science, or related equivalent field from a recognized institution
- Diploma in Occupational health and safety is an added advantage.
- 3+ years of experience
- NEBOSH Certification in HSE from recognized organization
- Familiarity with OSHA laws & Regulations
- Professional training and accreditation will be an added advantage
- Knowledge of emergency safety systems and equipment desirable
Applies in-depth understanding of the value drivers of the Company, to improve effectiveness & profitability. Other relevant competences required for the role include:
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent contacts with colleagues;
- Must be literate;
- Must be computer literate (at a minimum, good understanding and ability to use Microsoft Office);
- Self-motivated, versatile and adaptable to different cultures and people;
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work schedules;
- Strong mobilization and negotiation skills required;
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills;
- Excellent people management skills;
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to coordinate activities and projects; Proactive.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritise;
- Ability to work independently and as a team on assigned duties; and,
- Ability to be a leader in safety and take ownership
A person of high integrity that will model LTWP core values:
- Safety consciousness
Method of Application
Submit your CV, copies of relevant documents and Application to email@example.com
Use the title of the position as the subject of the email
Closing Date : 18 May. 2023