Head of Agronomy Full-time JobMay 11th, 2023 at 09:42 General Lilongwe Reference: 2351
The Head of Agronomy will be responsible for the production of Tobacco based on the IPS model to meet the business needs of the company. The Incumbent’s additional responsibilities will include directing, promoting, and coordinating agronomy operations in a manner that will optimize HAIL & COTTON (Malawi) Limited’s (H&C Malawi) resources while managing both business and financial risks and aligning production strategies to address ESG requirements and farmers productivity initiatives in line with GAP & STP.
Additionally, the Head of Agronomy will be mandated with
a) Establishing a lean and agile agronomy team that can effectively multitask.
b) Ensuring security of supply that is aligned with GAP/STP & ESG principles and that adheres to the Companies purpose, values, and mission.
c) Creating productivity & efficiencies throughout the leaf production supply chain that benefit both the farmer & Company.
This position requires the ability to think strategically, communicate effectively and a positive, can-do attitude, that promotes teamwork & inclusion within the agronomy department and throughout the company.
Job Summary and Key Duties:
- Establishes departmental goals in collaboration with Leaf Operations and Finance under the guidance of the Managing Director.
- Develops and implements agronomy strategic plans, objectives, and policies that are consistent with the goals and objectives of the company.
- Assigns team members defined job responsibilities, maintains these job descriptions, develops performance standards, completes, and administers bi-annual and annual performance reviews for team members, plans and provides opportunities for advancement, training, development, and succession planning.
- Contributes to the development of policies and procedures for various activities related to the company’s assigned activities, such as: contracting, pricing, risk management, marketing of the crop, logistics – total supply chain.
- Develops programs to maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of the company’s agronomy presence in areas where we operate.
- Promotes company communication efforts at all levels regarding agronomy market intelligence, policies, procedures, and agronomy department direction as it relates to the assigned volume, ESG and ERP systems development.
- Communicates the strategic direction and needs of the company to the farmers, stakeholders, and the employees.
- Guides and directs the Production team in liaison with Leaf operations all GAP/STP and ESG related matters including Yields, Quality, Farmers net returns, Crop throw and Product Integrity, to ensure continuous improvements in a cost-effective manner.
- Engages with other external stakeholders to ensure that an awareness of the various agricultural programs undertaken by H&C Malawi is implemented to enhance the image of the company and its contribution to society.
- Facilitates periodic GAP and ESG assessments (audits) as required and provides guidance and follow-up to ensure corrective actions are appropriate and completed.
- Develops project scopes, budgets, benchmarks, and schedules. Strong research, decision making, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills are key.
- Must be fully conversant with data Analysis and possess the ability to read and interpret data to make informed decisions.
- Applies sound business principles and judgement in the management of the department. Develops annual and long-term strategic and operational plans for the Agronomy department.
- Encourages other Key departments (Leaf and Finance) to understand the business plan of the department and that efforts with other departments are not in conflict.
- Assures that the agronomy division team members understand company-wide objectives and how the agronomy department supports company goals.
- Plans Agronomy CapEx and provides business justification for fixed asset purchases, consistent with equipment replacement schedules or business conditions.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Associates or Bachelor’s Degree in Agriculture or related field with strong understanding of Finance, Marketing and Agriculture Engineering.
- Business and Entrepreneur savvy/acumen traits, strong written and verbal communication skills. Good computer literacy Highly proficient in all Microsoft applications – Power Point, Excel, Word etc. strong customer centric skills and approach.
- Must have strong organizational, problem solving, and analytical skills; ability to manage priorities and workflow with acute attention to detail.
- Awareness of industry trends, technology.
- Should demonstrate good communication with all employees and customers – customer centric and must fully understanding all customer requirements, procedures, and needs.
- Must be principled and uphold the image and reputation of the organization and can deal effectively with a diversity of individuals at all organizational levels.
- Good judgement with the ability to make timely and sound decisions, versatile, flexible, and willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm.
- Ability to work independently and as a team player. Must be proactive and work under minimum supervision and meeting strict deadlines as required by management and customers.
- The position offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.