Director, Motor Vehicle Inspection and Safety Audits Full-time JobMay 9th, 2023 at 16:26 General Nairobi Reference: 1883
The National Transport and safety Authority was established through an Act of Parliament; Act Number 33 on 26th October 2012. The objective of forming the Authority was to harmonize the operations of the key road transport departments and help in effectively managing the road transport sub-sector and minimizing loss of lives through road crashes. Vision: Efficient, Reliable and Safe Roads in Kenya Mission: To continually improve accessibility of Kenya’s road transport system for all users. Core functions: The main functions of the Authority as outlined in section 4 of the NTSA Act;
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Managerial / Supervisory Responsibilities
- Propose and advice on policy formulation within the public transport sector;
- Develop work plans and budgets for the directorate;
- Oversee the execution of approved directorate work plans and budgets;
- Oversee performance management in the directorate;
- Prepare and submit monthly, quarterly and annual reports for the directorate;
- Prepare Board and Management Papers for approval;
- Identify training needs for the personnel in the directorate;
- Participate in the recruitment of staff within the directorate;
- Participate in the development and review of the Institution’s strategic plan;
- Identify procurement needs for the directorate;
- Mentor and coach directorate staff; and
- Participate in various committees in the Authority upon appointment.
Technical Responsibilities / Tasks
- Ensure efficient and effective management of the Motor Vehicle Inspection Centers;
- Advising the Management and the Board on matters relating to motor vehicle inspections & audits of road safety ;
- Develop and implement road safety audit manuals and procedures;
- Ensure implementation and monitoring of the motor vehicle standards;
- Review/Audit road designs while ensuring that they meet road safety standards;
- Oversee the upgrading of motor inspection centers;
- Lead in inspection of public service vehicles whilst ensuring safety of the public;
- Monitor and regulate NTSA’s motor vehicle safety inspection programs;
- Coordinate with other agencies/actors in the Road Transport Sector;
- Oversee of private and Authority motor vehicle inspection centres;
- Ensure inspection reports relating to traffic accidents are compiled and necessary action taken by the Authority;
- Developing vehicle standards in conjunction with relevant agencies;
- Oversee vetting of bus body builders and recommend for licensing;
- Development of vehicle standards in collaboration with Kenya Bureau of Standards;
- Oversee Audits on Road Safety and check on compliance by road agencies and county governments;
- Coordination of Accident/ Crash Investigations & recommend Remedial measures to relevant agencies; and
- Developing proposals for funding and resources for training and implementation of the Authority programmes /projects from development partners.
- In collaboration with Road Agencies and County Government, develop, review and implement Laws, regulations, internal policies and procedures.
- Provide continuous leadership, supervision, training and development of the directorate staff by ensuring an effective and motivated team;
- Ensure the fulfilment of the directorate’s performance contract targets;
- Develop mechanisms for corporate consultation, increase public participation and involvement in Authority’s policies and programs; and
- Generate and streamline revenue collection for the Authority.
Qualifications and Experience
- To be appointed to this role, the successful candidate must be a Kenyan citizen and possess the following key requirements;
- A Bachelor’s degree in either Civil, Automotive or Mechanical engineering or a related field from a recognized institution;
- A Master’s degree in any of the disciplines in either Civil, Automotive or Mechanical engineering or a related field from a recognized institution;
- At least fifteen (15) years’ relevant work experience, five (5) of which must be at a senior management level in a large organization;
- Attended Leadership Course lasting not less than four (4) weeks from a recognized institution is an added advantage;
- Computer proficiency;
- Demonstrated a high degree of professional competence, managerial and administrative capability in work performance and exhibit a thorough understanding of Authority’s goals, policies and objectives.
- Training/working knowledge in traffic engineering will be an added advantage.
- The candidate should also be a registered Professional Engineer with the Engineering Board of Kenya.
Method of Application
Submit your CV, copies of certificates, relevant testimonials and the National ID and Application to:
The Director General,
National Transport and Safety Authority,
316 Upper Hill Chambers, 2nd Ngong Avenue,
P.O. Box 3602-00506,
Closing Date : 29 May. 2023