Air Quality Expert Full-time JobMay 11th, 2023 at 14:46 General Nairobi Reference: 2466
The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the world’s environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the environment.
Duties and Responsibilities
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. UNEP’s mandate is to coordinate the development of environmental policy consensus by keeping the global environment under review and bringing emerging issues to the attention of governments and the international community for action. Headquartered in Nairobi, Kenya, UNEP has a network of country and regional offices facilitating the relevant country and regional processes and coordinating coherent delivery of UNEP’s programme aimed at addressing the causes of climate change, nature and biodiversity loss, and pollution through seven interlinked sub-programmes for action that include: Climate Action, Chemicals and Pollution Action, Nature Action, Science Policy, Environmental Governance, Finance and Economic Transformations and Digital Transformations. The post is located in the UNEP Africa office. The incumbent will work under the direct supervision of the Regional Sub – Programme Coordinator for Environment Under Review who is the designated Project Coordinator and perform the following duties:
- To build a Community of Practice (CoP) to advance action and use it to deliver training and address gaps on air pollution in the Southern African region, building on the ongoing activities of UNEP and CCAC in the region that support national governments, strengthen capacity among experts, practitioners and stakeholders and drive collaborative action for air quality in key sectors and across national boundaries.
- To strengthen air quality monitoring, data management, emission inventories and applications in the region to achieve the expected results through provision of training, data management and support, as well as integration of the Africa Integrated Assessment’s recommendations into national planning.
- To support development of robust air quality management frameworks across all scales, and clean air solutions, that are adopted and implemented, building on the CCAC SNAP Initiative, Africa Integrated Assessment, African Union Air Quality Framework and the regional air quality framework agreement to support the 12 target countries.
- Advanced University degree in information management, environmental assessment or environmental sciences is required. A relevant first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in environmental information systems management, multilateral environmental agreements (MEAs), state of environment reporting, and in using environmental data and indicators is required. Knowledge of the air quality assessment and monitoring processes is an advantage.
- Knowledge of national, regional and inter-governmental organizations, processes and operations is an advantage. Strong analytical and writing skills are required for this position, as well as experience in facilitating meetings and workshops involving a wide range of stakeholders including government officials.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this post, fluency in written and oral English is required. Working knowledge of other UN languages is also desirable.
Method of Application
Submit your CV and Application on Company Website : Click Here
Closing Date : 19 May. 2023